Friday, August 5, 2011

When highschool doesn't grow up



This week is a mini trip down memory lane. It concerns a highschool reunion that’s happening next September. My alma mater, North Albion Collegiate Institute. In 2012, NACI will celebrate its 50th anniversary.

Now, I’m not too sure how I feel about highschool reunions. To be honest, the people that I cared to stay in contact with, I still hang out with. Some are my best friends.

But there is something intriguing about the possibility of getting together with people you haven’t seen for 30 years and see what they’ve been doing with their lives. And ooooh, what about seeing the celebs that went to NACI – Bruce MacDonald, Dean McDermott (I wonder if he’d bring Tori and her fake jubblies). Then again, there are others that I couldn’t give a flying fuck about. In fact, I’d prefer not to even see at all.

Anyway, on Facebook there has been a Group set up to try and reconnect people and spread the news. I was “friended” by some people that I didn’t even remember. Hell, I’m not even sure they went to school at the same time I did. But, for old time’s sake, I accepted their requests. All of a sudden, it seemed everything I posted was being Liked or commented on. It kind of weirded me out a bit to be honest. But, again, for old time’s sake…

Which brings me to the NACI Turns 50 in 2012 Group page.

First of all, let me just say that I give full marks to the Admins who set up the Group and are doing a bang up job of hunting people down and reuniting fellow CaNACIans. Bravo! Really. It can’t be an easy job and all the hard work they’re doing to organize the reunion, form committees, yadda-yadda-yadda is noteworthy and honourable. I’ve even found some of the discussions on the page to be quite engaging and fun.

But I do have a bone to pick (surprise-surprise).

When you choose to use a social media forum like Facebook, you need to be prepared for whatever people are going to say, like it or not. The Admins have gone so far as to create a “Netiquette” document as a gentle reminder to mind one’s p’s and q’s. And there seems to be daily postings asking people to watch what they say because “this is an open group.” Hello? It’s Facebook. If you are looking to manage behaviour and commentary, you’ve chosen the wrong platform.

I went as far, out of my own goodwill to create a logo and series of posters to advertise the reunion. (Using my trademark sarcasm and black humour naturally). I posted them on the page. It seemed the Admins felt the need to make a “cheery rebuttal” to every poster I put up – which is fine, they’re entitled to – it’s Facebook. But I even had one of them send me a private message telling me that I may be offending some people. Don’t get me wrong, she also said that she genuinely appreciated the effort, but I did get the feeling that she was, in a way, asking me to tone it down and be a bit more considerate of other’s feelings.




Case in point, one poster I created took a bit of a dig at Rexdale, once a suburban paradise, now one of the more crime-ridden, intimidating places to go in the GTA. It’s a fact! And the poster, I thought, was pretty damned funny. But I’m figuring this was the one that some people may have taken offence to. C’mon people. I don’t give a shit whether you still live in Rexdale or not. It’s a fucking joke – lighten up! Besides it’s not like it’s untrue. Rexdale is quite a shithole now. I lived there for over 20 years and witnessed its downfall. So, don’t kid yourself folks.

Anyway, I digress.

The point is, I don’t want to have to filter my thoughts or words. That’s why I write this damned blog. I don’t need to be reminded that what I say is “out in the public forum.”

I’d like to offer a final few words of advice for the Admins of the NACI Turns 50 in 2012 Group. This is a Group page. Postings by the Admins should be stimulating conversations of a nostalgic nature, “where are they now,” “has anyone seen X” (which many of them have been) and keeping people updated on the reunion itself. I didn’t sign on as a member of this Group to have the Admins constantly remind me about my social graces and promoting their own personal beliefs (be kind, watch what you say, don’t stereotype…). This is what you have your own Personal Facebook accounts for. And so, I made my last post and left and will only check back periodically for updates on the reunion. If I even bother going at all now.

Because I think there might be a couple of people a little pissed off with me after this. Oh well. That’s life.

And that’s my brain fart for Friday, August 5, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment