Friday, October 29, 2010

Yappy Dogs & Stupid Owners

Directly behind me is a house in which there are two small, yappy dogs. One is a shitzu and the other is a miniature poodle mix of some sort. I know as soon as these two dogs are let outside because they immediately start yapping. Incessantly. They bark at every sound. They bark when I turn on my kitchen light. They bark, bark, bark. And what do you think their owners do? Fuck all. They sit on their lazy asses inside and let them yap on.

Now, this couple is real special. They've come over to my house during a midsummer's day and told me that my music was too loud. And we politely turned it down - even though I can assure you it wasn't loud at all. This is also the couple that have regular, profanity-laced screaming matches with their teenage daughter and son when my neighbours young kids are out in the backyard playing on their trampoline. Yes, they're special indeed.

So, it comes as no surprise to me that the dogs are the way they are. Everyone knows that dogs are only as well-behaved as the owners train them to be. These owners don't seem to have any time for their pets. I rarely see them being walked. And they seem to use their backyard as an excuse for their own laziness. And personally, I chalk the yapping up to plain old neglect.

To put a finer point on their canine-loving nature, they had another dog that drowned in their backyard pool. And they didn't even realize it till it was far too late to resuscitate it. So what did they do? Naturally, they went out and got that poodle-mixed puppy to replace the one that committed suicide. Which boggles the mind.

I mean, if the pet store owner knew that these dogs were regularly locked out in the backyard day and night yapping and barking for literally hours on end and their previous dog drowned in their pool, do you think they'd sell them another dog? I would hope not. I certainly wouldn't.

Oakville has a noise ordinance that lists incessant dog barking as a valid reason for a complaint. I'm thinking that if this goes on much longer, I may have to drop a photocopy into their mailbox as a kindly, anonymous reminder that their dogs are a pain in the ass. As are they.

And that's my brainfart for Friday, October 29, 2010.

On an upbeat note: Happy Halloween everyone.

2 comments:

  1. DO IT! Our neighbours have yappy dogs too and I have often considered if there is a way to slip them a sedative hidden in a treat. SO annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what I suggest ...

    make a cd that consists entirely of dogs barking.
    play it on your outdoor stereo on endless loop.
    wait for them to show up at your door.
    that's when you tell them to put an end to it.

    ReplyDelete