Friday, April 23, 2010

Why Streetcars suck

This week's post has really nothing to do with advertising or marketing. Which, to be honest, is a bit of a relief. This rant is more about human nature and how public transit tends to bring out the worst of us.
So, to put this in perspective, this Thursday was Earth Day. So, I figured I'd take public transit to reduce my carbon footprint for the day. Yay, me. It started off well. GO train from Clarkson, all good: got some work done, read the paper... Then, TTC from Union to College Park, not bad, quick...finished the crossword, read my horoscope, blah, blah, blah...
But then, it all went to the shitter when I had to get on the College streetcar.
This is what I don't get.
Why do the people on the streetcar jam up the front of the tram? Why can't they simply move to the back? Honestly. The back of the streetcar is barren. Move the fuck back! What? Is there a boogie man back there? Do you have an issue moving beyond the rear exit doors? Is there a black hole that is going to suck you into another universe?
Or, are you terrified to let go of the bar over your head and give up the one square foot of ground underneath you? The sacred ground you have claimed as your own.
I have never seen a more ignorant or oblivious bunch of people in my life.
In fact, yesterday, a woman with a cane got on the streetcar at the same time I did and had to shuffle "behind the white line" and no one offered her a seat because they were too concerned about protecting "their turf." And the whole time, the entire back of the streetcar was empty. I actually had to tap a guy on the shoulder and ask him to give up his seat so she could sit down.
So, this message goes out to all commuters who use streetcars. Move to the back for the love of god. It's not scary. There are no monsters or zombies back there. Be considerate and let people get onto this sad mode of transportation. Otherwise I may just take to wearing hockey equipment and body-checking your sorry asses out the door.
And that's my brain fart for Friday, April 23, 2010.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment