Friday, July 20, 2012

Thanks to the TO Adland


So, the Friday night Rant this week is about as much removed from a rant as you can possibly get. It’s an appreciation. An affirmation that the advertising business does, in fact, have soul.

Let me provide some context: this week, I found myself displaced by the buy-out of Bos by Dentsu. Obviously, no holding company buys an independent to assume 100% of their staff and salaries. And being on the Bos side of the coin, I anticipated that most of those changes would likely happen to us. And they did. Truth be told, I expected them to. So, I bear no grudge against my former agency. Tough financial decisions had to be made. But I express much love for what I learned during my tenure with Bos and I’m proud of what I accomplished there. And furthermore I wish DentsuBos the very best in their future.

But what I’d really like to say, is how much I appreciate the warmth and support I’ve received from the Toronto ad community since this happened. An old friend had me in to freelance on a very important, high-profile pitch yesterday. This morning, I got up early and sent out LinkedIn updates to my network and I was humbled and overwhelmed by the responses I got. Super busy CDs and partners at agencies took the time to write back with messages of support and avails to meet for a coffee/beer. Phenomenal!

I think I’d once said that this industry is narcissistic and self-absorbed. But I was proved so wrong today.

So, I just want to thank everyone for their words of support and encouragement. I’ve never doubted my talent and abilities. But to know that others feel that I still have so much to offer was just what I needed.

Thanks to everyone (and you know who you are).

Just bring the work now! garwatson@hotmail.com and/or 416-856-0530

And that’s my brainfart for Friday, July 20, 2012.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment