Friday, June 5, 2009

TVS The Vacation Store is going down

So, this week I had an interesting telemarketing experience that's simply too good not to share. I should start by saying that I registered in November with the national Do Not Call Registry which apparently has limited effect.

Anyway, Monday night I get a call from a man from "National Grand Center" who informs me that I have won 1 of 5 gifts. My name was drawn randomly from a contest that I had supposedly entered at a "local mall." This person had my name, address, marital status, phone number (obviously) and knew that I was between the ages of 35 and 49 and made over $50K a year. Hmm, I thought, he's got quite a bit of info (most of which is simply a decent guess-timation) but I had filled out some ballots (yeah, I'm a sucker for those free draws) and thought, let's see where this goes. I'll bite.

So, this guy proceeds to list the prizes: RCA 60" TV, a week at Marriott Hotels & Resorts in Hilton Head, South Carolina or in Cancun, a Royal Caribbean cruise or $1000 cash. Hmm, pretty good brand names there. All the guy wanted me to do was to attend a "prize winner's dinner" with the confirmation number he gave me. He assured me that there was no sales pitches of any kind; even to leave my wallet at home. Just come, put my hand in barrel, pick out a prize and bob's your uncle. He told me to show up on Wednesday at 6:30 with my wife at 216 Chrislea Road in Woodbridge.

My wife was hugely skeptical (god bless her). So, the first thing I do is hit up Google (god bless them) and search National Grand Center. Turns it, they're affiliated with TVS The Vacation Store, a timeshare-like scheme based on buying vacation points. Oh, and get this, on other links, there are hundreds of postings about how people went to this "prize claim dinner" and were harassed for hours by sales people.

My blood began to boil. You see, I'm usually a pretty level-headed guy. But try and fuck me over and I will make it my mission to take your scheming ass down. 

So, next morning, the first thing I do is phone the head office of TVS The Vacation Store. I actually got a live person. I asked him if he knew of "National Grand Center." Of course, he said, they are a promotional telemarketing company they use. I then asked him if he condones them using illegal means to call people (because I'm on the Do Not Call Registry) and if he is aware that they are using brand names like Marriott, RCA and Royal Caribbean as lures to get people to attend point scheme sessions under the guise of winning a prize. He hung up on me. Biiiiiig mistake, sonny Jim.

Guess what my next phone call was? 

The international office of Marriott Hotels & Resorts in Washington. I spoke to the guy that was worldwide fraud and security officer. And guess what? He told me that neither TVS nor National Grand Center was in their database of preferred suppliers and business affiliates. I informed him that I am simply a consumer that is concerned that these companies are using the Marriott's good name and reputation to flog shit. He assured me that their conduct was, at the very least, trademark infringement and would not know anything further until he did more research. Naturally, I provided him with all the blogs I'd found as well as the contact info of TVS, including the president. A full investigation is being pursued. Sweet.

Then, I sent emails to both RCA and Royal Caribbean. I did not hear back from RCA but I did get a similar response from Royal Caribbean as I got from Marriott. A huge "thank you for bringing our attention to this matter. We assure you that Royal Caribbean is not affiliated in any way whatsoever with either of the businesses you mentioned in your email...it has been brought to the attention of our public and corporate affairs department...(and) a full investigation will be launched."

Fuckin' eh. 

Let this be a message to everyone:

1. be aware of any scams claiming free prizes even if they seem to have information about you that makes them seem somewhat legitimate
2. take your anger and frustration and put it to good use. If you feel like a company is fucking you over, take action. There are people out there that want to hear about this stuff and WILL follow up on their own behalf
3. you have power as a consumer nowadays that no other generation has possessed. I have posted stuff about this on Facebook and Twitter. And now, this. I hope everyone will pass on the word to their friends and contacts to bring down TVS The Vacation Store. They are one bunch of slimey bastards that prey upon people's hopes and dreams and they deserve to be shut down

Next week, I will be contacting MarketPlace and The Fifth Estate. Just to prove the above.

And now, I'll close with the same words I said to the guy at TVS just before he hung up on me: "You've messed with the wrong fucking guy!"

And that's my brain fart for Friday, June 6, 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Hi thanks for ur comments i got a same kinda call to my wife?
    his name was roger safin?
    would u like to let me know the name and the phone number so i can report to police about these scammers?

    ReplyDelete